Skip to main content

Frequent Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Please note that UPLC does not represent individuals in criminal cases. Additionally, due to attorney/client privilege we can not discuss details regarding a prisoner with family or friends, unless we first receive a letter in writing from the prisoner.

For more information, give us a call at 773-769-1411! 

Prisoners' Rights

COVID-19 Updates Available Here!

The police arrested my friend/family member, what should I do?

  • Call FDLA right away. Never say anything to the police without a lawyer present.

My friend/family member in prison is not getting medical attention, or is having their rights violated another way. What can I do?

  • Ensure they write grievances and follow the procedure. Have your loved one write UPLC with written permission to talk to you about their issues.

My friend/family member is about to be released. How can I get prison officials to come approve where they will live? 

  • Send a written letter addressed to Field Services at the prison the person is at, and keep a dated copy.

My friend/family member needs help after being released from prison, what should they do? 

My friend/family member has been wrongfully convicted. Can you help? 

I was mistreated in Cook County Jail. Can you help? 

  • Possibly, depending on what happened. If you have grievances and any other documents, preserve them as evidence and call us.

Tenants' Rights

My landlord/management company won’t fix my apartment/turn on the heat/etc., or is trying to evict me for an unfair reason. Can you help? 

Does UPLC take eviction cases outside of Chicago? 

Does UPLC help condo owners with unpaid assessment issues? 

  • No, you need to hire a lawyer.

Does UPLC represent landlords? 

  • No.

Social Security Disability Income

COVID-19 Updates:

  • If you are a Social Security recipient and you do not regularly file a tax return due to your income level, you do NOT have to file one now in order to receive the COVID-19 stimulus check. The state of this is continually developing, for the most up-to-date information, please visit the IRS Updates page:

Will UPLC help me with filing an application for Social Security Disability benefits? 

  • We do help people with this, but please do not call us until after you have filed an application for benefits with your local Social Security office.

Does UPLC help with Social Security disability overpayment or cessation of benefits? 

  • Unless we assisted you with your original claim for benefits, no. Contact LAF.


Can you help me get WIC/SNAP (food stamps)/etc.? 

  • UPLC does not do this kind of work. Please contact LAF.

I was beaten by the police, can you take my case? 

How can I clear/expunge/seal my record? 

I’m getting divorced and I can’t afford a lawyer. What should I do? 

  • Access to Justice
  • Susan Crown
  • Alvin H Baum Family Fund
  • kirkland & Ellis
  • EJW logo