Notice of Job Posting: Part-Time Donor Relations Manager
About the position: Uptown People’s Law Center (UPLC), a small (11 full-time employees and 3 part-time employees) nonprofit legal organization, is hiring a part-time donor relations manager. This position reports to Director of Development & Communications; works with Director of Development & Communications, Executive Director, Development Assistant. The Donor Relations Manager, in conjunction with the Director of Development & Communications, is responsible for creating and implementing fundraising development strategies and goals with regard to individual donors and prospects, and law firms. This position does not involve grantwriting or communications work; the primary goal of the position is to maintain and grow a reliable base of support from individuals and law firms for the organization, through personal contact.
This position is part-time, with somewhat flexible hours, approximately 18-20 hours a week, for $22-25 per hour, depending on experience. We do not offer health insurance or other benefits, but do offer the ability to purchase it through UPLC’s plan. Currently, this is a remote position due to the pandemic.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop and execute best practices in prospect management and stewardship of donors and donations
- Create and manage an active schedule of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities for a donor portfolio
- Manage relationships with donors and prospects that result in increased financial support
- Manage an active schedule of meetings and solicitations for and with UPLC’s Executive Director, and fully prepare and support him for successful donor meetings
- Provide leadership and support for donor outreach, including with UPLC Board members and other stakeholders
- Prepare tailored solicitation materials as needed
- Work collaboratively with staff to meet annual revenue and engagement goals
- Ensure accuracy and timeliness of account data input
- Maintain current understanding of UPLC’s work, successes, and overall results to effectively communicate to donors and prospects
- Maintain and grow relationships with existing donors and create relationships with new prospects
- Maintain confidentiality of UPLC, donor, prospect, and client information
- Represent UPLC to the public, and at meetings and events as necessary
- 2-5 years’ experience in donor relations, including moves management strategy and face-to-face solicitations
- Demonstrated record of success in executing an individual giving strategy
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and take initiative with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong computer skills and experience with or ability to become proficient in Network for Good donor database
- Demonstrated motivation, initiative, persistence, commitment, and follow-through
- Strong attention to detail, emotional intelligence, and persuasion skills
- High energy and integrity
- Passion for UPLC’s work and mission
- Natural ability to establish rapport and engage donors and prospects
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and networking skills
- Experience initiating and building a major donor moves management pipeline/strategy
- Experience working within or adjacent to legal work
- Positive spirit and a good sense of humor
This position requires sitting for extended periods of time while using the computer and telephone, and, once the pandemic is over, out-of-office public contact.
Uptown People’s Law Center is a nonprofit legal clinic located on the North Side of Chicago. Our work is focused on three areas: representing prisoners in civil rights lawsuits, representing disabled people who have been denied Social Security disability benefits, and representing tenants who are facing eviction or have other issues relating to their tenancy.
UPLC offers an entrepreneurial environment with a small staff of kind people who are passionate about their work. The dress code for work in the office is casual and we are conveniently located a short walk from the Wilson Red Line stop.
How to apply
Email email@example.com and include “Donor Relations Manager” in the subject line. Your application should include a copy of your resume, as well as a cover letter describing your related experience and why you are a great candidate for this position. Application deadline is October 12th. Please, no calls, visits, or social media contacts regarding this position.
People of color and/or LGBTQ folks and/or former prisoners are strongly encouraged to apply. UPLC is an Equal Opportunity employer. Staff members are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, in accordance with federal and state law.